Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take for my appointment?

Each appointment takes approximately 15 - 20 minutes. Each applicant needs to have a separate appointment and needs to come with the application completed, but not signed.

How long will it take to get my passport?

The Routine processing time is now taking 6-8 weeks. Expedite Service ($60 extra fee) is now taking 2-3 weeks.

For current processing times, please visit:

Does my minor child have to be present?

Yes, all applicants are required to be present. For minors; parents listed on the birth certificate are required to be present and sign the application.

Does my minor child need an ID?

For minors under the age of 16; parents listed on the birth certificate are required to be present and sign the application. We will use the parents’ ID for the application. In the case that the minor is 16 or 17-years-old, only one guardian needs to accompany them. Both the guardian and the applying minor must have IDs.

Will I need to submit my citizenship evidence and will I get it back?

Yes, we will need to submit the citizenship evidence with the application. It will be returned to you in a separate mailing up to 7 days after you receive your passport.

What are the costs and how can I pay?

Please refer to our Fees page

Adult and minor fees are different

Payments must be paid in the form of a check or money order

Do I need to bring my photo?

No, your photo can be taken at the UNL Passport Office for a fee of $15.00.

What is the difference between the Passport card and the Passport book?

The Passport Book allows you to travel anywhere inside and outside the United States (besides restricted countries). The Passport Card allows you to travel inside the United States. The passport card allows you to travel to Mexico and Canada by boat or by land, it will not fly you anywhere outside the country. Please refer to the State department travel site for detailed information

How can I get a passport sooner than the 2-3 week Expedite service?

You can call 1-877-487-2778 to schedule an appointment at a passport agency. Proof of need to travel will be required as this is an "emergency passport" situation.

My information was printed wrong on my passport, what should I do?

You will need to submit the passport with Form DS-5504.

What to do if my passport was lost or stolen?

Call 1-877-487-2778 to report the loss or theft immediately.

Do I need to fill out my application before I arrive to my appointment?

Yes. If you need to fill out the application at the UNL Passport Office, please arrive 30 minutes early to your scheduled appointment.

Is there parking?

Yes, free parking is right in front of our building at 1700 Y Street, UNL Business Services Complex.

Are your passport services open to the public?

Yes, we welcome the general public, as well as, all University of Nebraska Students, Faculty, Staff, and Alumni.