Passport Office Closure Notice

  • The Passport Office will be closed for Thanksgiving on the November 26th and 27th.

Welcome to the UNL Passport Office website. We will assist you in completing your passport application process in an efficient manner.

Application mailed to the State Department by the UNL Passport Office

Receive your passport in the mail

We are an appointment-based office now.

As of November 2, 2015, the UNL Passport Office has implemented an online reservation system. Walk-in appointments will be limited to morning hours and based on number of appointments and agent availability. So please make your appointment reservation before your visit.

The reservation system allows applicants to schedule an appointment up to 5 business days in advance.


Monday through Friday

Morning:    8:00am to 12:00 pm

Afternoon: 1:00pm to 5:00pm

Contact Information

1700 Y Street Rm 106,
Lincoln, NE 68588-0647



Important Passport Information

On June 1, 2009 the U.S. government implemented the full requirements of the land and sea phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. These new rules require U.S. citizens entering the U.S. at any point of entry to have a passport or passport card.

Passports are valid for 10 years and are normally processed within 4-6 weeks. It is recommended that people apply for passports at least two months prior to the planned date of departure.

Department of State Processing Times

For routine service it usually takes approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application until you receive your passport. You may request the U.S. State Department's Expedited Passport Processing Service for an additional $60. If you pay for expedited service it takes approximately 2-3 weeks for you to receive your passport. (Currently, the U.S. passport card is not eligible for Expedited Service.)

U.S. Passport Card

A card that is valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.

U.S. Passport Book

A booklet that is valid for international travel by air, sea, or land.
Find out more about the differences between passport book and card at travel.state.gov